Book Review: Scarlet by Mariss Meyer

Title: Scarlet ( The Lunar Chronicles #2)
Author:
Marissa Meyer
Publishing info: 
February  5th, 2013 by Feiwel and Friends
Genre's:
Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Retelling, Dystopian
My rating:
5/5
Add to Goodreads:
click here
Provided by:
Bought paperback copy from Barnes & Noble
Buy:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible
Synopsis:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 



“I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”  

My Thought's

★★★★★


Marissa Meyer's once again wows me with a classic fairytale inspired story that I simply just could not put down! Scarlet takes place in the same universe as book 1 of The Lunar Chronicle, Cinder, but it is almost in and of it's self it's own story. We are introduced to all new main character's, and Cinder is more of a background character. She is still very important to the story. All these character's are tied into the same destiny. I am loving all these character's and twists! I seriously have had a hard time putting these books down.

Scarlet starts off right around the time Cinder leaves off, and like I mentioned we are introduced to an all new main character in a way. Her name is Scarlet, which is obviously where the title comes from. Cinder was inspired by the classic fairytale Cinderella, and Scarlet is inspired by classic fairytale Little Red Riding Hood.

Scarlet's grandmother has gone missing and the only one willing to help her is a mysterious guy who goes by Wolf, and something about him just doesn't sit right with Scarlet. Meanwhile Cinder still plays apart in this story as she has now escaped from prison with the help of a new ally, Captain Thorne, btw he is AWESOMELY FUNNY! I adored Thorne beyond words. He was probably my favorite new character to be honest. We also still get glimpses of Prince Kai of the Eastern Commonwealth as well since he plays a big part in the conflict between earth and Lunar. Kai's, Scarlet's,  Wolf's, Cinder's, and Captain Thorne's stories will all tie together by the end. Marissa Meyer's really knows how to weave a story worth reading with unforgettable characters!

Like in Cinder there is a bit of romance in this one too. I didn't enjoy it as much as Cinder and Kai, I totally ship them! But, it was still captivating and I can't wait to see the next ship Meyer's comes up with next! I hear each book will have it's own couple! For a shipper junkie like me that makes for great news!

Marissa Meyer's classic fairytale inspired tales are ones that will have you hooked from page one, feverishly turning the pages for more! Highly recommend!

-Amanda Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Copyright © 2016 Hearts Stories , Blogger