Book Review: Heartless by Marissa Meyer


Title: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publishing info: November 8th, 2016
Genre's: Young Adult, Retelling, Fantasy, Romance
My Rating: 5/5
Add to Goodreads: click here
Provided by: Received in November's Owlcrate box
Buy: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Audible
Synopsis: Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.





“Now mine eyes see the heart that once we did search for, and I fear this heart shall be mended, nevermore.”

My Thought's

★★★★★
I received Heartless in the November Owlcate box, which is a monthly book box subscription. When I saw the beautiful cover and that is was a Alice in Wonderland retelling but of the Queen of Hearts, I just knew I had to read it. I quickly devoured the book every moment I could sneak and it only took me three days. It is books as this that make me love reading. You fall so hard into the story you feel completely lost to it. It takes up most of your thought's even when you aren't reading.


I think what I loved the most was how Marissa Meyer's makes you love and really feel for one of the greatest villains from our child hood fairytales. Villians are so much better when you can see the backstory on why they have become so evil. What are the hardships that strip them of their goodness. This book did not fail with the Queen of Hearts. She has always been one of my favorite villains ever since I first fell down the rabbit hole with the original Alice and Wonderland story. There was always something memorizing about her. I was so excited to see the story Marissa created, and I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed seeing Cath aka the Queen of Hearts transform from this kindhearted and innocent girl who just wanted to be happy, into the vengeful brokenhearted queen we all know with the famous quote "Off with your head!"

Marissa Meyer's other character's were equally amazing. I quite adored the Jest. He stole my heart from the beginning with his flirtations and jokes. He quickly was added to my book boyfriends list! I also really enjoyed the Hatta & Raven, aswell as all the other characters. It was so fun to see the caterpillar, rabbit, card guards, and such craziness in the original Wonderland still there in this story just in Marissa's own way. The setting is truly Wondrous. Marissa Meyers really does do a magnificent job on this retelling of the Queen of Hearts from Wonderland and she really makes you feel for her. I loved every bit of it! The ending did gut me, not gonna lie but I expected it not to be a happy ending since she does go evil and all. Part of me came up with my own happy ending and I tell myself all is alright :)

Overall I absolutely adored this book from page 1 and now I look even more forward to reading Marissa Meyer's Cinder series which I sadly have not yet. If it is anything wonderful like this then I am sure I will love it! I highly recommend Heartless to all fans of fairytale retellings and fans of the wonderful Wonderland!

-Amanda Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Copyright © 2016 Hearts Stories , Blogger